Impact Hub London is growing, preparing to open a second location in early 2024, while continuing to run our existing space in King’s Cross. We’re searching for a Facilities Manager to ensure the smooth running of our flexible workspaces, their facilities and equipment, with a particular focus on maintenance, capex, procurement, ICT and Health and Safety.
You will be part of our Operations Team and work closely with our Community Team who act as lead point of contact for our members and their guests.
The overall purpose of this role is to ensure that IHL’s flexible workspaces are presented in optimum condition to deliver a first-class user experience. This therefore includes in particular the health and safety, maintenance and cleaning of IHL’s buildings and the equipment within them, and managing the procurement of products and services to ensure the smooth running of our organisation. This role is within the Operations Team and will work closely with the Community Team who are responsible for ensuring an overall great experience for our members and other users. Your key responsibilities will include:
1. Community Focus and Space Planning:
- Work with the Community and Leadership teams to identify and understand the evolving needs of members, bookers and guests, and optimise the workspaces to meet those needs.
- Maximise occupancy and efficiency through intelligent space utilisation strategies.
- Promote IHL values through the delivery of a sustainable, accessible and welcoming space
2. Facilities Maintenance and Renewal:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive maintenance schedule for each of our workspaces, based on your regular inspections and assessments of the life-spans of building systems, equipment, and common areas and ensure repairs, renovations, and upgrades are undertaken as needed to ensure the facilities remain in good condition, including HVAC systems, building management systems, etc.
- Ensure that our ICT systems are up to date and able to handle the demands of users, including fast broadband/wifi provision for team and members, hardware and software, tech support, printing and licences.
- Ensure that all facilities are in compliance with local regulations, building codes, and safety standards. Maintain accurate maintenance and safety related records and documentation and our asset register.
- Prepare, propose and manage annual premises maintenance and capex budgets for all IHL flexible workspaces, monitor expenditures and identify cost-saving opportunities.
- Provide regular financial reports and forecasts to the Leadership team and board
- Keep abreast of new developments and innovations in space management in the flexible workspace sector, evaluate and propose improvements as part of the annual business planning cycle
3. Procurement and Supplier Management:
- Create clear briefs for long-term suppliers and manage the procurement process for our operational supply chain, taking account of social and environmental factors as well as value for money and track record when selecting a supplier. Negotiate contracts and ensure these are clearly briefed to relevant team members.
- Create and maintain a list of reliable providers covering maintenance, IT and AV, security and all other key aspects of facilities management for a thriving flexible workspace. Build strong ongoing relationships with our chosen suppliers and providers so they can be called upon to respond quickly in emergency situations as well as planned activity.
- Monitor and manage the performance of maintenance staff or contractors and clear contracts, ensuring that work is completed efficiently and to high standards, ensuring that Service Level Agreements are in place and standards are met.
4. Health and Safety:
- Lead responsibility for the implementation of Health and Safety practices across IHL, including regular updates with the CEO and the board member with lead responsibility for Health and Safety.
- Create a culture of safety awareness among IHL team, board and members through regular consultations, updates and reporting practices.
- Conduct regular safety audits, risk assessments and emergency drills to enhance preparedness. Work with the Community Team to ensure that daily, weekly and monthly checks are carried out and any (potential) hazards are reported and dealt with in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all Health and Safety documents (including but not limited to risk assessments, emergency response and evacuation plans, accident book, training records, daily and weekly checks) are reviewed, kept up to date and approved by the board, adapting to new industry best practices as appropriate.
- Ensure that team training on Health and Safety issues (including but not limited to Manual Handling, Fire Safety and Evacuation, First Aid, etc) is kept up to date and new team members are trained in a timely manner.
5. Environmental Sustainability:
- Take lead operational responsibility for our climate commitments, ensuring that we remain carbon-neutral and move towards full net-zero status, by undertaking a full carbon footprint audit annually, researching and implementing sustainable practices, such as energy conservation, waste reduction, and eco-friendly initiatives.
- Explore opportunities to obtain certifications or recognition for environmentally responsible facility management. Work with environmental leads in programmes, community and marketing teams to coordinate and publicise IHL climate action, and promote systemic change on this issue.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with our landlords, suppliers, team and members to improve environmental performance.
Essential Experience and Skills:
- Facilities management experience; ideally in a flexible workspace context, including supervision of external contractors to deliver quality work at a reasonable cost
- Experience in managing health and safety within an organisation
- Experience clear written communication, including producing health and safety or process documents, procurement briefs or board reports that convey information in a clear and usable manner
- Training and supporting others in processes and procedures, ensuring quality implementation across the team.
- A good understanding of health and safety and risk management and a track record of managing this successfully
- Procurement experience
- Experience in turning strategies and budgets into deliverable plans which are delegated and delivered effectively across a diverse team
- Excellent stakeholder engagement and management skills
- Problem-solving skills with a solution-oriented approach
- Highly organised, able to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently without supervision and also within a small team setting
- Detail oriented
- Proficient in MS Office or Google Drive applications and Zoom
- Experience in dealing calmly and effectively with unexpected situations
Desirable Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- IOSH or NEBOSH certification
- Experience in managing procurement, including social and environmental criteria in the selection process as well as value for money
- Experience with a workspace management system, ideally Nexudus, and its integration with other IT systems (eg finance, CRM, security)
- Interest in and enthusiasm for the social economy and impact-driven business
- A values-driven approach to your work and an enthusiasm for socially-driven enterprises
- Demonstrate attention to detail, persistence patience and motivation to reliably deliver high-quality outputs, often to tight deadlines
- Willingness to challenge contractors to offer better quality, value or timescales
- Ability to deal with complexity or crisis situations calmly and systematically
- Able to prioritise trade-offs between quality, cost and social/environmental impact
- Proactive in your work and communication
- A fast learner, keen to build and develop the role as suits the needs of the business
- A natural team player with a deep commitment to collaboration and serving the greater good
- A confident self-starter with a can-do attitude who will thrive in a small team with an entrepreneurial feel
- Able to demonstrate delivering effectively both directly and through influencing others, including leading through a period of change and growth
Terms & Conditions
- This is a full-time role 37.5 hours per week (excluding a 30-minute daily break).
- The contract is permanent with a 3-month probation period.
Normal place of work is at both of our offices: Kings Cross: 34B York Way, London N1 9AB and Euston: 1 Triton Square, London NW1 3DX. Due to the nature of the role, this is expected to be an on-site role.
Usual hours are 9 am-5 pm but some flexibility can be offered and also may be required from time to time.
How to Apply
If you have the relevant experience for this role and would like to apply, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Facilities Manager” and attach your CV and a cover letter outlining why you are suitable for the role, and how you meet the person specification. Applications without both a CV and a cover letter may not be considered.
Unfortunately, we cannot sponsor work visas. Please do not apply if you do not already have permission to work in the UK.
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis, starting before the deadline, so please get your application in early.
Deadline: 9am, Tuesday 17 October
Due to the level of applications expected, we regret that we may only be able to reply to successful applicants, and can only offer feedback to interviewed candidates.
We are particularly keen to hear from candidates who identify as Black, Asian, or Minority Ethnic, LGBTQIA+, disabled, from a less advantaged socioeconomic background as well as any other under-represented groups.
We also want this process to be as equitable and accessible as possible – all applications will be anonymised until the interview stage.
Please help us by not including photos, marital status or other data that is not relevant to your qualifications for the job in your application. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to ensure you can fully participate in the application process.